Advantages of Summer Reading Programs
The New York State Library outlined the following justification for an online reading program:
- Support of Literacy Skills
- Encourages use of library and reading all summer.
- Encourages writing - children, teens and families writing reviews
- Supports NYS education standards
- English Language - Standard 2 and 3
- The Arts - Standard 2
- Mathematics, Science, and Technology – Standard 1 and 2
- Encourages reading as a fun summer activity that can easily fit into a summer of swimming, sports, outdoor activities, and family vacations.
- Improved Library Service to Families and Youth
- Contributes to the public library role as technology hub in the community
- Children, teens and families who travel during the summer can still participate.
- Easy for children, teens and families to keep track of what they are reading.
- Expanded Summer Reading Program
- Expands the program beyond library walls
- Allows presentation of the library’s resources to a wider audience
- Easy method for outreach to some nontraditional library users
- Children, especially teens, gravitate to programs that link to an online environment.
- Increases opportunities for collaboration and cooperation with local schools.
- Improves program marketing and helps encourage diversity.
Library Summer Reading Programs (ALA Library Fact Sheet 17) - background information, research bibliography and best practices.
“Summer Slide” Reduced by Letting Kids Pick Their Own Summer Reading, results of a study by researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center.